Four basic metrics that are used in Purdue’s Course Signals and BlackBoard’s Retention Center, both early warning systems (retention early warning systems).
- recency of course login (Are you showing up for class?),
- discussion board posts (Are you participating in class?),
- on-time assignment delivery (Are you turning in your work?),
- and grade book scores (Is your work passing?)
The focus is on intra-course not inter-course. Preventing the student from failing his individual course before making sure he re enrolls in another course.
Purdue’s system breaks down the data in 3 phases
- Preparation: What is the at risk profile of the student before starting the course. based on previous courses and other student related data.
- Effort: student’s grades in the class, the frequency of logins, participation in class discussion, history of turning in assignments and completing tests on time, etc.
- Seeking Help